Sunday, December 2, 2007

Google in the library...zara hatke..

FUN DAY for the author
Our library is big..big enuf to fit a 100 elephants,too big fo a hundred footballs and wayy too big for a 1877 serial numbered book by some nerve wrecker called ketchumm..
Imagine how old the book can be..
BIT was founded in 1953. accd to te library , that one is abt atleast 50 years old..
Now .high time that one retired..( U dont learn strategy / aerodynamics from mahabharata rite ? .. yah its a lil too much fr a joke .. i know.. )
BUt th point is that , the bloke was tryin too hard and it was about time he retired..
Unfortunately enuf nobody let him and hence he ended up im my arms on a cold tense and misty endsem evening.
Though i dont have a great penchant for returning books n time , i had made sure that he made it home 10 days late..
good bye ketchum.. PDC is over and so are u for me ...

Rite.. i wish i hadnt said that then..
The library at that time had decided that it was high time they gave their so called computers a rest and started chekkin out books with a pen and a register.. The library staff all 50+ enjoyin the same old times they had ....
So when they had decided that it was about time they started gettin real by fixxin those intels and amds, it was too late for all those people whom the library decided to punish for no real purpose,to prepare.. to mentally b able to comprehend the worthless pile of dung they wer abt to get..

Time : 1 year later..
Place : Table,the library..

I have a nice way of sayin thanks to my knowledge providers by payin regularly a constant amount of fine .. not less than 500 on any semester,and hence just to my surprise i dint find my name in the fine list this sem and decided to get down to the wire and chekk it out for myself

It seems that in india, the land of zeroes., i mean the zero inventors__ that 2600 and 556 are absent in the decimal system

OPAC TOLD ME

pending due : 2690

current due : 556


VOILAAAAA...aylaaaaaaaaaaaa..matthi chaallaa.( tha last two are fishes ..rhymes :P )

Hmmmph... I was confused...So , had i actually forgotten about some book in my room, which by the way is an endless repository odf several non living and living things ,including a rat..
So a book wasnt really out of the equation..atleast till the point when the rat wasnt there..Rats do eat books..they do eat clothes,that i knw esp since iv had the luxury of wearin somme of emm..nothin to boast about.i know.
All other possibilities had surpassed me and then i decided to search in my library card which was right inside my pocket..

NOte... im not slow..these things wer happenin in a flash of a second and the rate at which i type s really really beyond ur imagination...faster .. (:)),Im just slowin it down for u.

SO ..wat happens then . ? i have a fine of 2600.
On askin the librarian he tell s me that itll b effectve only when i return the book which means that my current fine s just 560 odd..
great! i ll nevr return it .! sadly ..taht cud go on only till the day i pass out..(from th col ie ),anf by then i would be payin the library enuf money to buy the entire collections of mr . lass ketchum..

me :" So sir what should i do ? "
Sir :" if u r so sure that u hav returned it and out database dint register it .. ek kaam karo ..get the account number of the book and its id and produce it infront of me,and then ill THInk about reducin ur fine .."
me ( imaginin) : " Ull think about what ?? reDucing ?? wat the ? do you even know how many books are there ...? and do u know how many perverts are out there tryin to hide every book they can possibly associate with every segment in their syllabus ?
DO u even know that there are a set of people called the ECE s ??"

ME :" uhmm what "?
sir: " haan jaldi karo ... u have one hour left .. " ( yea rite.! thank u sire... u r truly one man who can read my mind. i was thinkin 59 mins ).


venue:Some dilapidated section in the ece rack..

I searched like no google could have searched,bendin standin,readin 241234 ,125541,54677,98000,78900..wat the hell ..nothins even close to 1877..
Man this is gonna drag on..
1 hr passed..then he came..
He looked no older than me,a lot more well dressed..formals glasses..
aah..a Junior atlast.. an ECE for sure.Must have come for some PDC book

" Heyy you which branch are u in.. ?"

--" I am an ECE ................professor "!

I had already exhausted too much f my enrgy on the searchin algos and dint have much left and hence gave out a more or less stupid lookin smile and he responded with one of those ... aah- wat an idiot-couldnt care less looks.
" Its ok i dont mind.. so wats ur problem ??"
" eh ? well sir im lookin for a book .. im sposed to find t in an hr "
"EH?"
after explainin the whole thing to him he enlightens me that the more regular ECE s had to search for all the 20 or more books they had taken in that dreaded week.. I feltt so much better..
SO waht if time ran out.. i have till the end of the year ... I ll b searchin .O yea.. I ll get some real juniors this time ..I hav all figured out..The librarian mite even b fed up f this ..

PS : again and again i requote " its not the librarys fault..its something we as staff members and u as students have to do "..wat exactly did u do ???

fart it..im gettin fined in 200 days..or im suein him..

3 comments:

shreko said...

hey thor i v change d th name of th topic like u said..old one had to b changed...deleted.

jishnukann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jishnukann said...

da..
kollam..
i donno. whether its the writing style or, u doing all those stuffs, it was really funny... :)

if u remember I too had a similar problem.had returned the book. it din get registered. and the fine was 3000

we planned to hack the system. Take the registry of the system. Or use s brute force algorithm on it and then reduce the fine to negative 3000 Rs, hehe.. will the library pay me now.???

In the end I had to buy a new book and give it to the Library.